Monday, December 27, 2004

I've Got Some Thinking To Do

I'm coming to terms with my age -- 58 -- finally. Too old to hang out all night without crashing around the clock for the next two days. Too young to not want to hang out all night.

I pioneered as a single mother by choice. Successfully it seems, since he's graduated from a reputable college right here in the good ol' US of A, has several good friends I gladly welcome across my doorsill, and is working. At a career. Yooha! . . . Yet, at 30 years old, he's doing stuff that make me question my choice. No details now. It still rankles and I start going off on a tangent, and rant, and rave . . . and see what I mean.

In four years, I'm retiring. I started looking at 55+ adult communities. Why do developers think all baby boomers are wealthy? But, I thought that if I searched long enough, and thorough enough, I'd find something reasonable, where I could pay the mortgage and still not have to resort to consuming cat food for nourishment. Then I started meeting some of the 55+ folks. I never saw so many pale faces, knobby knees -- and women! Beware of those advertising brochures. Where are the happily smiling mature couples hugging up on each other and relaxing in the made-for-two swing before the setting sun? What is so wrong with adding a little brown rinse to that oh-so-dull gray hair? Would I be doomed to be shushed for turning up my Led Zepplin during their high noon naptime?

Maybe there are some things I'm going to come to terms with -- my own terms.

3 comments:

Kim Carney said...

And turn up that Led Zepplin REALLY loud.
I recently attended a wedding where I was the youngest friend among many 30-somethings. For the first time IN MY LIFE, I felt every second of my 48 years. And in that weekend, I realized I was not 30, others did not see me at 30...but wait! I felt 30, sometimes, 20, hardly ever 48. What is up with that!?

Liv 2 Cre8 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
...e... said...

I just found your site because you found mine! You were my absolute first ever comment, and it seems to be because of the "What Age Do You Act" thingy. Well I'm glad it worked for you, and it's so weird to know there are actually people out there. Reading, looking at what I toss out. Regarding boomers:today is my birthday. I am 53. I joined AARP when I turned 50, but that was because my mother had made me promise to do so for the insurance benefits. To each his own. I'm now living in the house she retired to, where she could pay the mortgage with no sign of catfood. I hope to do as well myself by the time I get to retire;I'd hate to lose what she built up for me. But no 55+ communities, please! Not until at least 80!.